Tuesday, February 22, 2011

healthy eating: stir fry

Spring and summer are quickly approaching (yayyyyy!!) and with that comes the typical "freak out" about our bodies. I am fortunate enough that I don't have to do a total freak out and cut back/off all the foods I love to eat (which works in my favor because I have about ZERO discipline when it comes to eating). However, as I have recently gotten more into my cooking I have been looking for and been given some "healthier" ideas to try out. It's tough for me because I am such a picky eater, and though I eat more veggies than I used to (I ate peas last night, for I think the first time in my life - seasoned with pepper and garlic salt :) still progess!) and will try different dishes now, I generally still don't love it. I'd rather stick to some fried chicken fingers and fries, country fried steak or spaghetti =) I have been making myself cook outside of the box I think lately, some for my benefit, but for David's too because he does like a lot of veggies and different dishes. Throughout my adventurous cooking, I have found that I am a pretty big fan of stir fry. As of now, I have made two different ones, and actually I didn't like one, ha. I am doing a third tonight. I do love that you can make it basically how you want and depending what you put in it, it's a healthy and filling dinner- with little clean up!

Fresh Veggie Stir Fry
(I used all fresh vegetables, but they have veggie stir fry bags if you'd rather)
1 pkg stir fry meat
1 T oil (either kind, i used extra virgin olive oil, but can be veg too)
and any veggie you might want, i used about:
3/4 cup mushrooms sliced
1/2 a green pepper sliced
1/2 an onion sliced
1/2 cup carrot sticks chopped
1 cup broccoli chopped
worcestshire sauce
garlic salt
pepper


Of course you can use any veggie that you want to and in any proportion. I used what we had in the fridge that day. And by the way, I cook for 2, so this serves 2 with a little left over I think.

1. Marinade the stir fry meat in worcestshire sauce, salt and pepper (I probably left it in there about 2 hours, and I just put enough sauce to cover the meat).. can use soy sauce
2. Add about 1 tablespoon of oil to a skillet, just enough to coat the bottom so that the meat doesn't stick. Add meat and cook until it isn't pink anymore.
3. Add your veggies (Already cleaned and chopped, and I had sprinkled garlic salt and pepper on them)
4. Cook until the veggies are how you want them (Some people like crunchy veggies, some people like them softer)
Takes about 20 minutes. I made rice on the side to go with it. Also, can add more sauce while you cook if you want a saucier outcome, I didn't =)


Easy Pork Skillet
1 T oil
3 or 4 pork tenderloin
2 pkgs pork flavored ramen
1 1/2 c water
1 c red pepper cut to your size preference (I had green pepper so am using that instead)
1 c broccoli
1/2 c green onions chopped (I am just using a regular onion)
1 T parsley or 2 t parsley flakes
1 T soy sauce

1. Heat 12 in skillet over M-H heat, add oil.
2. Add pork, stir fry until pink is gone.
3. Break apart noodles, stir noodles, seasonings and remaining ingredients into ork. Heat to boiling. Boil 304 minutes until noodles are soft.

I am making this tonight, hopefully it will be yummy =)

The third recent stir fry is called Southwest Chicken Skillet
1 T oil
1 1/4 lb boneless chicken, cut into 1 in pieces
1 bag (1 lb) of frozen broccoli, red peppers, onions, mushrooms
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chunky salsa
flour tortilla, cut into 2x1 in strips
1 cup shredded cheese
(serves 4)

1. In 10 in skillet, heat oil over M-H heat, cook chicken until not pink.
2. Stir in veggies, beans, salsa. Reduce heat to M, cover and cook 6-8 min, until veggies are crisp & tender.
3. Sprinkle with tortilla strips and cheese. Cover and cook about 2 minutes.

I changed part of this recipe- instead of cutting the tortillas I used the stir fry to make burritos. Just filled the tortillas with the mixture and added sour cream. The flavor was good, I just am not a fan of biting into so many onions and peppers. David was a fan though, so don't be afraid to try it because I didn't like it!

My facebook album 'here there and everywhere" has pictures of all three dishes (as of tonight when I cook dinner).

The last two recipes are orginally from Betty Crocker.

No comments:

Post a Comment